Tuesday 27 August 2024

Distractions, Distractions

 I had planned to get all my Night Goblins out for a few parade photos today, but instead I got distracted by a free (!) game on PC which is also a rank-and-flank fantasy miniatures game that you can play on the tabletop. It's called SOVL (pronounced, of course, "soul") and you can get the PC version here and the tabletop version here. There's a single-player campaign on the PC along with multiplayer options - either against the computer, or against real people in ranked or casual games. 

It's also hard! To beat the campaign you have to win every single game, and so far I have not done that. I've had my best luck with the Elves, who got beaten at the end of Act II by a joint Orc and Human force. The dragon was their trump card. I'm trying again with the Undead and have managed to recruit a forest dragon for my necromancer to ride on, which is proving very useful indeed...

Anyway here are some screenshots:

In-battle shot of my Elves beating the snot out of Abyssal Warriors

Initial deployment for the final battle of Act II - my Elves tried to break the alliance left flank, but they were much more stubborn than I'd hoped and hung around long enough for the right flank and dragon to sweep round and annihilate me!

The campaign map. Each node is either a battle, an event, or somewhere to upgrade your army.

All this has made me even more keen to finally get off my bum and frequent a wargames club again so that I can try and collar people into some kind of Return to Thorskinson's Island style campaign.

Until tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment