Saturday 18 May 2013

Blast From The Past

Tonight JY and JS came over to try out my copy of the now out of print Wizards of the Coast Star Wars RPG. We played through most of the missions in the introductory boxed set, with JY and JS taking the roles of, respectively, Sia-Lin Wezz and R.I.K, two Jedi Padawans seperated from their masters in Theed, capital of Naboo, during the Trade Federation Invasion.

Much fun was had - it was the first time I'd GM'd for some time, and using the counters and scripted missions was great, enabling me to grind back into gear and proving a blast for both Wezz and R.I.K:

Mission 2 - Wezz and Rik engage a light force of Battle Droids and Niemoidians to rescue a group of Naboo soldiers, airmen and civilians. The laid-out counters closest to the camera caused much consternation of this nature:

It wasn't. The Trade Federation really were that useless.

However, in the end, the two brave Padawans wound up in a POW camp after bravely sacrificing themselves to allow a decoy Queen, a handmaiden, and two Palace Guard to leg it into the palace and, together with the real Queen, Obi-Wan, Anakin et al, defeat the Trade Federation.

How did they get caught? Well, Wezz tried to Force Push too hard and knocked herself out (on a d20, rolled a 2, used a Force Point, rolled a 1, used her last Force Point... and rolled a 1) while Rik took on a battle tank and lost.

But they got so far and did so well that they levelled up to Level 3 and will be getting a secret mission on Monday, concluding the mini-campaign and potentially seeing their characters - well, best not give too much away.

A welcome blast from the past; I'd bought all my Star Wars RPG stuff in 2006, in my first year at university!

In between missions, while they sorted out new skills and suchlike, I started to rebase and repaint my Righteous Fists. No longer fighting in the temperate zones, they have been posted to the deserts! Pictures up tomorrow probably once I've finished the Scouts. I also built a squad of Deathwing today, and reassembled some of my broken Righteous Fists so that now I have a functioning army: 2 HQ choices, 2 Elites, 2 Troops, 2 Fast Attack and 2 Heavy Support. I could do with some more vehicles probably, and maybe some more Tac Marines, but for now they'll do (once I get them rebased, and in some cases painted that is!).

No comments:

Post a Comment